One Day: Such a Disappointment


If you are a fan of the movie or the book, stop reading now.

So disappointed with David Nicholls' One Day. I had such high hopes for the book (and the movie, which brings me to the point - why did i have such high hopes. Haha.

I'm not a book critic at all, but I'd like to think that I know how to tell a good read from one that's not.

Here's the back story:

I have always wanted to see the movie ever since I saw the trailer. I thought, "Cool! I wonder how'd the story would be like for two people who always meet once a year. I wonder what adventures, hardships they would recall or resolve in that one short day that they were together," (which is also a total lie they've made out because there are some years that they don't even speak over the phone) Friend 1 saw it and raved about it. He recommended that I see the movie, I downloaded the movie in my phone but never really found the time to watch it.

Then good friend 2 saw the movie and read the book. He also recommended One Day to me but told me to read the book first then watch the movie (in hindsight, I'm not entirely sure if he was kidding when he told me to read the book and watch the movie). He said that I would be able to relate to it.

So I bought the book, read the first three chapters and realize, I did relate to it. In a sense that Emma's perspective of herself (pre-Dexter) and Dexter's perspective of Emma resounded to my soul. *cue drama music* Now at this point, it got me interested enough to read the next chapter. Unfortunately though, my interest quickly withered even before I finished the fourth chapter. Asked what I thought about it after chapter three? It's twilight minus the sparkling vampires.

I skipped some chapters in the end and skimmed through the ending. Mostly because (SPOILER ALERT!) when the protagonist dies , what else is there to happen especially in this story where anything and everything that can possibly happen between them has already had. T_T

Really disappointed. My 40 dirhams down the drain. I should've bought the new Diary of a Wimpy Kid, i would've saved 5 dirhams, its hard bound plus I'm sure to enjoy that!

Postscript: I saw the movie last night and it sucked way more balls than the book. Even Jim Sturgess stubble can't save the film.

Comments

Popular Posts