Swimming

"Don't you trust me?" He shouts from the water looking up at her. 

"I do," she shouts back.

"Then jump already!" His command a mix of excitement and irritation.

"I can't!" She says, an attempt at an explanation. 

"I promise I'll catch you!" He assures her.

"I know!" She assures him.

"Then why won't you jump already?!" 

"Because I don't trust myself!" She begins to explain.  I don't trust that I'll fall safely and calmly into your arms, because from the moment my feet leaves this rock and I am air bound I'll be kicking and screaming, doubting, maybe even regretting why I jumped in the first place. Because really the ones who fight back are the hardest to rescue and sometimes not even worth rescuing. Because we take you down with us, we not just drown in panic, we pull you into the mess we make thrashing under the water. Did you not know that the only way to save a person like that is to hit them so hard they pass out? Would you have the heart to hurt me so we both survive this? 

As if sensing her fear, he shouts back at her "I'll kick you in the face if i have to! Now jump already!" Excitedly and more to himself, he says, " I swear it's so worth it.." 

Comments

Popular Posts