I might need it later

I grew up poor. Maybe growing up, it didn't register as much (kids could really care less), but looking back, I realised that I grew up poor. A little sheltered (the word poor was never mentioned around our household) but poor anyway. 

I grew up around a rat pack of a mother. Someone who keeps everything, just in case. Someone who gets things on sale (even if you don't need it in the immediate future), just in case. I grew up in a just-in-case household. 

And I think that somehow shaped my mentality as a person. 

I have so many just in case's. I have reserve of beer in my fridge, just in case I feel like drinking. I have extra sets of towel, beddings, and such, just in case I don't feel like getting the soiled ones laundried yet. I have an extra pair of slippers, just in case the old ones snapped or gets stolen or lost. my closet is filled with clothes that doesn't fit me, just in case I lose weight and be able to fit in them again. I keep you around, just in case you change your mind (or I do). 

And really, in essence, there is nothing wrong with just in cases. It's about anticipating things and preparing for when it happens. Nothing wrong in the right context. It's just that I'm afraid I use my just in cases in the wrong ones. I'm too scared that I'm going to run out so I store unnecessarily. I have unnecessary anxiety because I anticipate something that is highly unlikely to happen. I hold on to things that needs letting go. 

I'm holding on to things that needs letting go.

I have to let go of the things I'm holding on to.


Comments

Popular Posts